Wit & Wise Words

Friday 10 September 2010

I despise my brother's taste.

And especially I despise his taste in music. Do you know he's been listening to the same songs on the same Green Day album for 6 months? And do you know I share a wall with this guy? I can't even listen to Tom Waits properly anymore. When he's not playing Boulevard of Broken Dreams for the God-I-don't-know like millionth time, it's the other, even more tasteless little brother who takes over. He is eleven, while the older of my little brothers is 15.

And what does the Extremely Tasteless One play? About everything that's horribly commercial and/or comes from Eurosong. Ick. Eew.

He plays Hadize or what's-her-name's Dum Tek Tek at least once a day. Help.

The longer I live here (and that's been 17 years minus 27 days now) the more I realise my mother and both my brothers have a problem with the 'repeat' feature on their respective CD-players. And when I say that, it's figurative; they never use that particular button and Lord knows that could spare them a lot of 'backwards'-pressing...
Only me and my father seem safe of this horrendous habit, probably because we both have a too large music collection to afford listening to only one song.
And even in that logic there's a glitch; my mother owns countless CDs, yet she feels she needs to listen to them in stages.
Pattern is as follows:
  1. Mum picks a CD. May be new, may be old. May be terribly scratched on some songs. Doesn't matter.
  2. On that CD, mum picks a song. And listens to it for minimum a week. Or a week and a half (if it's CĂ©line Dion). Or a whole two weeks (if it's Phil Collins' Face Value).
  3. Once she's listened to that song enough (read: once her children's whining about it being always the same gets on her nerves too much) she goes on to the next song. 
  4. Repeating above described action until she's been through 75-85% of the album (=the songs she likes. Watch out, with Best Ofs, you're rapidly at 95%) 
  5. Then, she picks another album. She might have listened to it thoroughly two months ago, no matter, she'll just do it all over again. 
And I'm trapped in a vicious circle. I'm very tolerant to music, but my family is seriously helping me to hate some songs. Not good.

Well, I won't whine too much. I'll say something nice to end this post.

Because of all these repeats, I am the biggest hit on karaoke night. Thanks, guys?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say!