Wit & Wise Words

Thursday 22 July 2010

Sayin' my goodbyes

I don't exactly know who I'm trying to fool here, but I'd like to wish a nice three weeks to those who read this blog. I'm leaving for Africa, the Congo to be more precise.

It's not something I particularly like, the whole ruckus that comes with departure on holidays. Even if you're only gone for the weekend, it's such a hassle, so tiresome that I often ask myself if it's worth it. Then again, if it only depended on me I probably would spend all summer at home; I'm the home sweet home kind. Or the lazy kind. Or I simply don't like ruckus, hassle and stress.

Leaving for Africa is even worse than normal. Kind of obvious; if you forget something there won't be much chance you'll find a department store once you're in the bush. And trust me, the bush is where I'll be. 500 km south of Kinshasa, Lukunga is the name of the lost village. I'm there for humanitarian action. Not something I would do if my dad wasn't the organisation's co-founder.

...I'm scared.

Scared of the heat, the people, the group I'm going with, the food, the culture, the culture shock.

Scared shitless.

On the bright side, I'm now taking care of the organisation's blog. I'll take traveller's notes to post them there and I'll try to write some blogs for here as well. Who knows, perhaps culture shock is inspiring?

1 comment:

  1. You don't write blogs, you write blog posts, and you post those on your blog. (;
    Enjoy the bushes!

    ReplyDelete

Have your say!